Monday 6 July 2015

Upcycled Mixed Media Canvas Featuring ColourArte

 
 
 
 
Good morning friends!  I am very excited to share my project today. I have an upcycled cracker box to show you! I got out my swiss cheese cracker box (my favorite crackers by the way!) and started to layer on different types of paper.
 
 
 
 
 
I used some vintage book paper, a bag from an online crafty purchase and some old music paper a friend sent me. I used mod podge to layer on the paper. It really made the box very sturdy and it holds up well to mixed media products.
 
 
Once the Mod Podge was dry, it was time for the fun to begin. I got out my Silks Acrylic Glazes and did some finger painting. This is why I love the Silks so much, they are a very forgiving product and you can use brushes, palette knives and even your stubby little fingers to apply them.
 

Once the Glazes were dry, I used my paint dauber to make some retro style polka dots on the back ground and also used one of my stamps which has a circle motif on it, stamping it with black Stayzon Ink.
 
Next, it was time to paint my embellishments. I started off with the chipboard glasses and I used some of the Pixie Pink in the Silks Acrylic Glazes and when that dried I put some Diamond Stickles on top. I really love how the glasses came out, they look so cool!
 
 
The retro diamond shapes and the TV shape I used some Twinkling H20's. The Diamonds however, got a coat of Key Lime Silks first then a few spots of the "twinks" in Lemongrass on top of that for some more shimmer. This is a great layering technique using both the Silks and the H20's. I start off with the Silks as the base layer then use coordinating colours in the H20's and apply them randomly to the chipboard. It gives the illusion of dimension through the shimmer of the paints. Its a very easy technique to do!
 
 
The television got a coat of Mediterranean Blue, Lemongrass and Teal Zircon. The Twinkling H20's are so highly pigmented I didn't even gesso the chipboard first and I got such great coverage from them!
 
 
I added some fun vintage images I had in my stash to pick up on the retro vibe of the chipboard and the colour palette.  I used some of my favorite childhood television shows and featured some of my all time favorite characters.  I had a ton of fun with this piece, it really brought back some fun memories!
 

 
I added some dimensional resin cast pieces and some flowers to finish it off.
 
 
I hope you have enjoyed my project today, and will give this type of upcycled project a try.  I really enjoyed making this and plan to make some more upcycled "canvases" in the future.
 
Don't forget to stop by the ColourArte Store HERE or the ColourArte Blog and Facebook Page to check out all the amazing products they have!
 
Thanks for stopping by!

 
 
 
 
 
Other Products Used
Prima Archival Cast Pieces
Prima Chipboard Sentiments, Sequins & Tea Cup
Petaloo Flowers
Kraftsupplies4U Flowers
Ranger White Paint Dauber
Ranger Diamond Stickles
Rubbermoon Circle Stamp
Black Stayzon Ink
Black & White Retro Images From My Stash
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment