Saturday, 15 October 2016

Fernli Designs Dream Catcher

 
Good morning Fernli fans, Kim here with my next project for Fernli Designs.
This time I have created a dreamcatcher with tons of great items from the Fernli Store.
 
I started off with the Circle Layers and used two of the larger circles to be the base for the dream catcher. I used some Prima twine in a neutral beige colour and wove my dreamcatcher first. Once the weaving was done, I used the same twine to wrap around the base of the circle. This gave the circle lots of thickness and stability. After I was finished with this I set the circles aside and started to work on the pieces I would attach to the dreamcatcher.


I looked up on Google images for a photo of a peacock feather and tried to do my take on what they would look like, I did take some artistic licence here!  I love the Prima paints they have so much shimmer to them and went on the wood so easily.

 
 
Once the feathers were complete, I move on to altering one of the Fernli keys next.

 
I used a key from the  Ornate Key Mix 5 (Set 1). I altered it with some of the Finnabar rust paste.
I layered on the rust paste and also gave the key a bit of light turquoise paint in spots so it would pick up on the colours of the peacock feathers and other embellishments I used on the dreamcatcher.
 
You can see in the photo below how they look together.
 
 
Now it was time to decorate the dreamcatcher. As I mentioned, I did 2 of the circles up to look like dreamcatchers. I glued a smaller one to the large one and this gave it a lot of dimension.
 
 
For the smaller dreamcatcher, I used a free butterfly image I printed off of the internet and added some glossy accents and glitter glass to its wings. I then used a Prima Relics & Artifacts resin doll to attach to the centre of the butterfly. I painted the little doll up in browns and blues to match the other embellishments.


I also added some flowers from my stash and also some micro beads and a pearl centre to the largest flower beside my  butterfly doll.
 


 
 
For the larger dreamcatcher, I used the Wings Type 2 and a wooden heart from the off cuts and miss cuts bag.  I used more of the Prima paints in coordinating colours and lots of flowers and micro beads as well for some fun texture.

 
 
Finally I strung up some beads from my stash with some clear fishing line and tied the key and the feathers to the bottom of the dreamcatcher.
 
 

 
 
I hope you like my project today, and will give this one a try. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube for weaving your own Dreamcatcher, and Fernli Designs can provide the rest of the goodies!
Thanks so much for stopping by today, please visit my blog for more info on this project and all of my Fernli Designs makes.
Kim :)