Friday 28 October 2016

Vintage Lace Sewing Book A Shabby is Chic Boutique DT Project

Good morning Shabby is Chic Boutique Fans!  Kim here today with a fun project that was years in the making!
 
 
Today I am sharing a lace book I have created. This book is filled with antique, vintage and some new trims, making it filled with memories and lush goodies!
 
Some of the laces I used are antique, I have had them in my stash for years, and have finally decided to unlock my hoard vault and create this very thick book.
 

 
The base of this book is made from felt. I used FabriTac Glue to make the base of the book and its binding.  All of the fabric images in the book are digital images I created as I wanted to really make this book feel old, worn and very, very shabby. I also stuffed all the images to make them more dimensional, using some quilt batting from my stash.

 
There are tons of hand sewn items on the cover, including the vintage buttons you see in these photos above and below.

 
I have also used the heart applique you see above from SCB, and I also added this gorgeous mini spoon, which I hand stitched to the cover, which is also from SCB.  I also hand stitched on some pearls to give a very feminine touch.

 
Along with the digital images, I also created some sentiments and printed them off on the same fabric. Below I have used the phrase "Sewing Supplies", and written it in French, to pick up on the theme of the book.  You can also see a safety pin attaches the sentiment, to which I added some pearls from my stash and also some fun charms from the SCB store.

 
As you can see the book is quite thick with lush laces, trims and vintage findings.


The flower on the bottom corner of the book finished off the cover nicely. I used bits and pieces of antique trimmings, some satin ribbon and a gorgeous pearl and bling piece from SCB for the center.
 

 
The first page of the book is created with a large vintage doily which I coffee dyed. I also coffee dyed some bridal appliques as well which surround the Prima Initial Card in the center. A beige seam binding bow finished it off. 

 
The next page I added some hand made stick pins and more appliques, doilies, and vintage laces. I created a small bow out of some left over muslin, vintage doily, flower applique and heart applique.
At the top of the page you can see another of my fabric sentiments, this one says "sewing".

 
 
The next page is all about this lovely lady and her parasol.  I kept the page in mostly deep browns, and added some white wedding appliques, trims and doilies for an accent color.  I also had stitched some vintage buttons and created a tassel out of some trim.
You can also see another of my fabric sentiments at the top of the page.
The doily, applique and dangle trim are from the SCB shop.
 
 
I also hand stitched on a lovely silver tea bag charm in the top right corner of the image from the SCB shop.
 
 
Flanking this lovely lady is another fun image I created. This time the page is all in tan's and dark navy blue. These are unusual colours for shabby chic, but I love them! This lady has a gorgeous fan she is holding and I framed her in some very old insertion lace I have had for ages in my stash.
 
 
The page itself is once again made from an old doily I attached to the felt base. I layered on lots of trims and pretty dangle laces at the bottom.  I created a focal point in the corner with a heart applique from SCB, a vintage doily and some vintage navy silk seam binding from my stash.  

 
You can see in the top left corner a cameo and bling bow brooch from my stash as well.
 

 

 
The second to last page is this lovely little Madame! I layered on lots of white laces for the background and then created a lace "frame" in an oval shape around her. Adding many, rows of vintage trim and gorgeous SCB laces. I also added more appliques to the top and bottom from SCB, and cut up some Venice Trim from my stash with a rose pattern, then hand stitched on some antique buttons with a rhinestone center. A hand made stick pin and hand made flower finished off this page nicely.

 
And finally, the last page. Here is where the sewing supplies reside in this fun little bag attached to the back page. This bag has two pockets, one to hold the sewing kit and the other to hold extra needles and measuring tape.


 
Finally, we are on the back cover. This image is from some fabric I had and I surrounded the image with more beautiful laces from SCB, Antique from my stash and Vintage findings.

 
I also created an little handmade by me tag for the base of the image.
 
Once again, here is the cover of my "little" book.
 
 
I hope you are inspired by my project today and will try making a vintage book for yourself.  They are so fun to make, and something you can keep and treasure for years to come.
Thanks for stopping by today, please check out Shabby is Chic Boutique on Zibbet.

No comments:

Post a Comment