Thursday 11 October 2018

How To Create Faux Tiles With Embossing Folders & Distress Oxides White Rose Crafts LLC DT


Good morning White Rose Crafts fans! Kim here today with my very first Design Team project, and I am so excited to share it.  I have altered a simple wooden frame, and used some fun techniques with lots of WRC goodies!


The first step is to choose your Distress Inks and Oxides which you wish to make your tiles into. You rub your inks directly on the flat side of your embossing folder. I am using an Elizabeth Craft feather embossing folder which you can find in the WRC shop.


Ink up your folder generously, I used Faded Jeans for this, and you may have to re ink it and run it through a second time, but be generous with the ink. I prefer the worn look, but for a more solid look on your paper you can run it through as many times as you wish. I used Cracked Pistachio and Tumbled Glass in the Distress Oxides


The result when it is embossed is that you have the dark space which you inked and when embossed, the white from the card stock will be raised up. Its a really cool effect and has so many applications!


The next step is to prep the frame, which I used some Americana Decor paint, but you can use what ever colour you like. 


Once the paint was dry, I took my paper and cut it up into squares and rectangles to make my faux tiles. I laid them out in a pattern I liked and alternated the size and colour of the tiles.


I glued the tiles down with a strong glue and cut off the excess and then sanded the frame to ensure the tiles looked even and smooth around the edges.


I wanted to make some embellishments that matched the feathers from the embossing folders, and decided to make some paper ones rather than use real ones. I did this by adding some thin wire in between two pieces of paper and then cut them into feather shapes, fringing around the edges. I then used my Distress Oxide in Tumbled Glass to give the feathers a bit of colour.


I added some of the Amercian Crafts Ivory Glitter Ribbon to the top of the feathers, and then
I added some glitter from my stash, and a Doodles Paper Playground Sparkle Blend called Vixen, to the feathers for some fun sparkle.


Next I added some pearls from my stash  and the gorgeous Recollections Flowers from WRC in coordinating colours.


I wanted to keep the centre of the frame simple, so I used a piece of paper from the Winter Moments by Craft O'Clock Paper Collection, and also the Breathe Stamp from the Kelly Creates Quotes 1 Stamp Set.


I felt the tiles needed some "grout", so I used some of my texture paste and a small brush and added it around the frame on each of the tiles.


I think the effect is something fun and different, and it gives you a new way to use up those embossing folders and create a fun home decor item.


Thanks so much for stopping by today, I really hope you have found some inspiration here!

White Rose Crafts Products Used

Other Items Used
Wooden Frame
Texture Paste
Paint by Americana Decor - Colour Lace
Pearls



No comments:

Post a Comment